Sunday, April 24, 2011

Clicking this link wont affect anything but the amount you've read in your life and my hit counter.

7 Days of this blog as a whole, 2 days and a couple hours worth of the chain letter-esque entry existing. Click it for the screenshot's original size.

The image above is a screenshot of this blogs stats from the last week.  Two days and a couple hours ago I was bored and decided to do a little experiment to see if people still made a big fuss over chain letter like headings and titles.  Of course with a heading such as "Click this link or someone in your family will die tonight and you deny Jesus Christ in your heart," I was expecting quite a few people to be closet scaredy cats and click the link over and over in hopes of preventing the death of loved ones and securing Jesus Christ's position in their hearts, thus securing their soul from hell.  Well, I was right about a little of it, but I also made a wrong assumption or two.  Here's what I gathered and why in my opinion.


Scenario #1:  Link posted on Facebook -> People read the title, saying "Dammit!" to themselves, immediately regretting grazing their eyes across it -> Link clicked -> Read post -> Feel stupid and wonder why they did it and/or Feel very safe and secure now that a family member will not die and they will not be bastardized in the eyes of Jesus Christ.

Scenario #2:  Link posted on Facebook -> People read the title, saying "Dammit!" to themselves -> They click the link -> Read post -> Spread the link like wildfire. -> Feel very safe and secure now that a family member will not die and they will not be bastardized in the eyes of Jesus Christ.

Scenario #3:  Link posted on Facebook -> People read the title, saying "Lol, this shit is stupid." -> End of Story.

Scenario #4:  Link posted on Facebook -> People read the title, saying "Lol, this shit is stupid." -> Link clicked out of curiosity. -> Link re-posted in hopes of Spagetting a few people into clicking the link, thus making this experiment work better.

Personally, I was torn between two expectations that are near polar opposites of each other.  The first was that people would secretly click it because they're scared to death that something out there actually enforces chain letters or they click it out of sheer paranoia.  The second expectation was that the whole mid-90's chain letter phenomenon had come and gone and people had finally wizened up.

Conclusion?  Scenario #3 with a hint of Scenario #1 accompanied with a little wiser internet population.

P.S. Happy Easter, I hope you all find all of the eggs at your family gathering and ruin the day for everyone else.

Thoughts?  Comment and let me know.



-Matt

6 comments:

  1. I love that your blog has a Paypal feature. I hate that my blog isn't in the only blogs in the world that matter. It's okay, you can stomp on the shards of my ego.
    -Janney

    LOL JK Matt my feelings aren't hurt. But you'd better add it.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, of course it would have a paypal feature! If people donate money to me, I can buy plane tickets and go to crazy places, show it to everyone through photo/video, write a bunch about it, and send people postcards or even pieces of dirt and rocks from the place. Or I could use the money to buy better camera equipment/editing equipment so things could get way fancier around here. Or maybe even buy a domain name? Ahh, the possibilities are endless.

    Anyways, what was the link to your blog!? It certainly is one of the few blogs in the world that matter, it needs added immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank god for your youtube introducing me to Brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zack (Mullins?): Awesome! I'm glad that you discovered them and that my YouTube channel can be at fault for it. They're one of my favorite bands of the last year for sure. That whole vein of music has been thoroughly killing it for me the past year or so. If you need any help digging up their stuff or things like that, let me know and I'll get it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. redappaljuice.blogspot.com

    Good luck with the fundraising!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been deemed a worthwhile blog!

    And thanks ahah. I'll need it. I don't think I'll ever get a donation, but hey, wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete